Looking for an internship with a great non-profit in the Washington, DC area? Want to help save lives?
International Action is a non-profit organization working to bring clean water to the people of Haiti. We work with local community leaders, government institutions, and other NGOs to build sustainable water infrastructure in desperately under-served parts of the country. Learn more about our work.
Our interns are dynamic and passionate self-starters who care about Haiti as much as we do. The come from all walks of life and from across the United States and many countries around the world, including Ghana, Rwanda, India, France, and Haiti. We work hard to make every intern feel like a part of the family.
All interns will assist with general administration, mailing campaigns, and answering the phone. We ask that interns be able to commit to at least 10 weeks, working a minimum of 20 hours a week. We are currently looking for interns for the fall semester to assist with programs, communication, development, and IT.
What will you do?
As an intern you could:
- receive fundraising training;
- attend conferences and forums on Haiti, development, and humanitarian work;
- research foundations and write grant proposals;
- research and contact potential partners and donors;
- draft press releases and contact news organizations for interviews and features;
- create and disseminate marketing materials;
- perform blog outreach and update our blog;
- write, review and/or edit newsletters and other documents;
- work with web consultant to keep the web site up-to-date;
- create awareness videos with footage shot by IA staff;
- provide troubleshooting for various technology issues; and
- maintain the program database.
If you speak French, you’ll be assigned translation work and act as a communication link to our team in Haiti.
What qualifications do all interns need?
- A four-year degree or current enrollment in a four-year program;
- Exceptional organizational, communications, and writing skills;
- French proficiency preferred; and
- Knowledge of Haiti’s history, government, and current state preferred.
Development interns should have:
- Experience with organizational development, or interest in pursuing development as a career
PR/Marketing interns should have:
- A degree/major in journalism, English, communications, or related field; and
- Experience with press release drafting, pitching, online marketing, and blogs.
IT/Web interns should have:
- Experience with HTML code, working within a CMS, and general IT work; and
- Experience creating and editing videos.
In This Section
I have learned so much in my time here. It is so inspiring to work with such dedicated and hardworking staff.
— Arthur Ostrega, Spring 2011
I got to see the incredible impact of clean water and what is being done to bring safe drinking water to Haiti and communities around the world.
— Elizabeth Morin, Summer 2010
Outside of the office, I was given the opportunity to attend and report on a congressional hearing, a meeting at the Korean Embassy, a conference with the UN deputy secretary general, and the AID & International Development Forum.
— Fiona Kelly, Summer 2010